Pasefika Proud Pacific Music Awards
Celebrating Pacific Music
2013 Pasefika Proud Pacific Music Awards
Thursday 30th May 2013 @ 7:30pm
Vodafone Events Centre
The Pacific Music Awards Trust honour Pacific women this year as the theme for the awards ceremony. This was achieved through acknowledging the 2013 female finalists & Pacific female music artists both past and present.
Porirua songstress Aaradhna has made a clean sweep at this year’s Pasefika Proud Pacific Music Awards winning all five categories she was a finalist in, as well as the NZ On Air Radio Airplay Award.
The haul represents the most awards won in a night by any single artist in the nine-year history of the Pacific Music Awards and comes off the back of her highly acclaimed album ‘Treble & Reverb’ released in November 2012.
Aradhna’s domination of the awards was fitting on a night themed around recognising Pacific women.
Aaradhna’s wins are:
- Nautilus Foundation Best Pacific Female Artist
- Niu FM Best Pacific Urban Artist
- APRA Best Pacific Song – ‘Wake Up’
- NZ On Air Best Pacific Video – ‘Lorena Bobbit’, director Tom Gould
- Pasefika Proud Best Pacific Music Album
- NZ On Air Radio Airplay Award – ‘Wake Up’
Other winners include:
- Radio 531pi Best Pacific Group – Tomorrow People – ‘One’
- Tagata Pasifika Best Pacific Language – Vaniah Toloa – ‘Tofi O Tamatane’
- Phillip Fuemana Award, Most Promising Artist – Cilla
- Manukau Institute of Technology Lifetime Achievement Award – Mavis Rivers
Performers on the night included finalists’ The Hypnotics, Swiss, Vaniah Toloa, Tomorrow People, along with Isabella Moore & Joel Amosa and a tribute to our Lifetime Achievement Award recipient, under the direction of Lance Su’a.
There was a special performance by 90s leading girl group MaVElle. This was the first time in 14 years that Lavina, Maybelle and Marina had performed together.